If you train in Judo, you’ll want to choose gym mats that provide excellent shock absorption and impact protection to help reduce the risk of injury from falls and throws. To that end you need good judo mats. The most common mats for judo training are tatami mats.
Here are some features to look for in good judo mats
- Thickness: Judo mats are typically thicker than other gym mats to provide extra cushioning and impact protection. Mats that are at least 1.5 inches thick are recommended for Judo.
- Density: The density of the mat is also important for Judo. Mats with a high-density foam core can provide better shock absorption and reduce the risk of injury.
- Surface texture: The surface of the mat should be textured to provide good grip and traction, which is especially important for Judo throws and takedowns. A tatami texture is commonly used for Judo mats.
- Size: Judo mats should be large enough to provide ample space for throws and takedowns. The standard size for Judo mats is approximately 1 meter by 2 meters.
- Durability: Judo mats should be made from high-quality materials that can withstand heavy use and abuse. Look for mats that are designed specifically for Judo or other martial arts.
Overall, when choosing gym mats for Judo, it’s important to prioritize safety and quality. Investing in high-quality Judo mats can help reduce the risk of injury and provide a safe and comfortable surface for training and competition.
Are tatami mats good judo mats?
Tatami mats are a popular choice for Judo mats because they provide excellent shock absorption and impact protection, as well as good grip and traction. Tatami mats are typically made from compressed foam with a vinyl or PVC cover, and they feature a textured surface that resembles traditional woven tatami mats.
Tatami mats are designed specifically for martial arts and combat sports like Judo, BJJ, and MMA, and they are often used in training and competition. They provide a safe and comfortable surface for throws, takedowns, and groundwork, and they can help reduce the risk of injury from falls and impacts.
When choosing tatami mats for Judo, it’s important to consider factors like thickness, density, surface texture, and size. Mats that are at least 40mm thick with a high-density foam core are recommended for Judo, and the surface should be textured for good grip and traction. The standard size for Judo mats is approximately 1 meter by 2 meters.
Overall, tatami mats can be an excellent choice for Judo mats, and they are widely used in martial arts gyms and training facilities around the world. Just be sure to choose high-quality tatami mats that are specifically designed for Judo or other martial arts to ensure maximum safety and durability.
What about EVA jigsaw mats?
EVA jigsaw mats are another popular option for gym mats, including for martial arts like Judo. These mats are made from ethylene-vinyl acetate foam, a lightweight and durable material that provides good shock absorption and impact protection. The jigsaw design allows the mats to be easily connected together, creating a large, seamless surface that can be customized to fit any space.
EVA jigsaw mats are available in a range of thicknesses, typically from 10mm to 40mm. Thicker mats can provide more cushioning and impact protection, but they may also be more expensive. The surface of EVA jigsaw mats can vary, with some mats featuring a smooth surface and others featuring a textured surface for better grip and traction.
While EVA jigsaw mats can be a good choice for gym mats, including for Judo training, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. For example, EVA foam can be more prone to indentation and tearing than other materials like rubber or vinyl. Additionally, the jigsaw design can create seams that can be more prone to wear and tear over time.
Overall, EVA jigsaw mats can be a good choice for Judo mats, especially for home gyms or smaller training facilities. Just be sure to choose mats that are thick enough to provide adequate cushioning and impact protection, and look for mats with a textured surface for better grip and traction. It’s also important to choose high-quality mats from a reputable manufacturer to ensure durability and safety.